The Great Yeats Birthday Party at Lissadell House will celebrate across the generations, from young to old, from the university cultures-vultures to those who have loved and admired Yeats since their school-days, to follow in the footsteps of the great poet through Lissadell, all in an atmosphere of fun and entertainment.
There will be a multiplicity of activities including poetry, poetry recitations, writers, musicians, speakers, talks, recitals, music, discussions, dancing. Yeats is so important, so hugely significant in terms of our national identity, of tourism, of culture.
PROGRAMME OF EVENTS
- Unveiling of a Poetry Plaque with the poem “On a Political Prisoner” by W. B. Yeats
- Launch of audio visual history project in collaboration with the National Library of Ireland.
- The Yeats Dawn Cycle Race, organised by Jarlath Gantly, of Lissadell Adventure / Wild Atlantic Wheels.
- G. Hotel Hat Party showcasing hats through the ages with special prizes for best hat or fascinator, sponsored by the G Hotel. Poetry recitations in the Gallery at Lissadell with a panel of important Irish figures in media, politics, culture and literature.
- Special performance of Yeats’ Muses, a one hour play by the Curlew Theatre Company (3.45pm in the Riding Arena).
- Traditional Sean Nos singers from Clare Island, and step dancing on the boards.
- Football exhibition matches under the auspices of the Football Association of Ireland including participants in the Sligo/Leitrim District League and the Sligo/Leitrim Ladies Football teams with guest appearances by football personalities.
- Music by a variety of different performers.
- Automatic writing: a re-creation of the art of automatic writing much favoured by W.B. Yeats and his wife, George Hyde-Lees. Communing with the inner consciousness and the art of mysticism.
- Woodland poetry walk: follow in the footsteps of W. B. Yeats.
It will be a wonderful day for all the family.
More information from Lissadell House.
Image Credit: Lissadell House by Colin Gillen Photography